Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Pain in the Butt

     I have been reading various comments from acquaintences and friends about today's royal wedding. The overall consensus was what I expected. The princess looked lovely and there was far too much coverage on the event. I must admit. I was a bit miffed that I could not easily access the weather report as usual. However, all things being considered, I was impressed by the beauty and the ceremonial display of matrimony. Not because of the grandeur I saw. But because of the genuine feel of love the new couple seemed to have. I can only imagine that anyone that has felt adoring love for another was momentarily transported to whatever place and moment they felt the same way. For the vast majority of us it didn't take place in a Gothic church the scale of Westminster Abbey. It may have been somewhere simple or even undesirable. But the feelings of love which are universal were undoubtedly the same. As usual I look for how I can relate to others. I can't relate to dignitaries and royalty. But, I can relate to undying love and affection. That was enough to warm my heart and be grateful for a glimpse, and an opportunity to share in the celebration.
     For those who approached the occasion with contempt and criticism I say boo! I am extremely uneducated on the ongoings of The United Kingdom. Therefore, I don't have a leg to stand on when Brits complain. Clearly they may be addressing valid arguments. Of that, I have no way of knowing. But as to my American counterparts, get over it! What's your real complaint? It surely should not be about a prince and princes you know nothing about. At best you should be mad at the media for their unbalanced continuing coverage of events that have little effect on our county. These day's that's what the media does best. Being contemptuous because you "don't care" about this wedding though, kind of makes you look miserable, unhappy, and yes, like a bit of a hater. If you truly don't care, why are you wasting your breath and spreading negativity about a happy occasion? A happy person would not do that...just sayin'.
    One person in particular called it a display of elitism and whiteness. I call her words a display of bitterness and unhappiness. Prince William in no way needs to apologize for his whiteness or the circumstance in which he was born. I for one, have seen him walk in the footsteps of his mother and serve in African nations that most people don't give a second thought to. I commend him for that, and hope that he and his bride have a happily ever after story to go with their fairy tale wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment