Thursday, November 10, 2011

Get Out of Your Comfort Zone and Into Your Destiny

There is a common theme going on with many of my close friends and myself right now.  My grandma used to call it growing pains. You know those moments in life when things are awkward and uncomfortable. That's where I find myself right now. I used to think it was a phase you go through in your youth, and then, thank God it's over. You live, you learn, it's not fun, it's not cute, but eventually it's over. As I spiral towards middle age, I am learning that was an incorrect premise. It's a life long process! I mean, technically, I don't have to continue to expand as a person. But, if I am actually going to reach my full potential, the growing pains process must continue.

In essence, I will spend the rest of my life walking into situations where once again I feel like an awkward adolescent girl. Not because I am immature, but because it's not the adolescence that make you awkward. It's the ignorance, uncertainty, and lack of experience that makes you uncomfortable. It's the flat chest, the pimples, and the insecurities that makes you an adolescent (all of which I still have so perhaps I will also be an adolescent forever too! Perish the thought.)

The fact of the matter is as soon as you come out of your comfort zone, you have choices to make. Are you going to stay there uncomfortable? Are you going to allow yourself to come to new revelations and paradigms? Or will you retreat back to where you feel safe? What I have come to realize by looking at people I know who choose retreat, is that they all end up miserable. It is double edged sword but I think the latter fate is worse. *I would rather be uncomfortable for a while, and find a place of temporary contentment, until it's time for the next test.

*Opinion subject to change as life and circumstance propel me forward ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment