Sunday, July 22, 2012

Salutations for a Soldier's Sacrifice

I would rather look a brave soldier in the face and thank him for his service, than watch a processional drive by and thank him after the fact.

A childhood friend of mine is transferring army bases this summer. She is spending the summer at "home" before she, and 4 children trek to the other side of the country to settle. Her husband is currently on active duty status in Afghanistan. I'm not sure how much longer he will be there before he gets to join his family on a more permanent basis.


I have numerous family members who have served in the military. I was never fortunate enough to have any of them fly into town for R&R. I wish I would put into words the atmosphere while we were waiting. The level of anticipation was thick. It was like Christmas Eve on crack!

True enough, I am turning into nothing less than a sap as I age. But to witness airport terminal personelle shaking a soldiers hand as he approached the waiting area. To see every fiber of his children and relatives wound tight ready to unleash their affection on him. And to see the relief on his wife's face to know he was back safely and in good health.
He sent her a text message to say that the plane landed

I can describe these events to you. But I am unable to effectively articulate how it FELT to be in the midst of it. This is why my camera is a treasured asset to me. Politics aside, you can agree or disagree with America's statuses on wars in various regions. That's a different topic for a different day. I honor and pray for all of the men and women who sacrifice so much to do what so few of us want or are willing to do. God bless and keep them.








No comments:

Post a Comment