Friday, November 16, 2012

Gratitude

     I woke up with a smile on my face and gratitude in my heart. It's time to celebrate my darling son's birthday. I decided that I would not fall prey to my usual self defeating tactics. No dread that he is growing up and needing me less. It's been a fight throughout the day let me tell you. A trip to the store to gather last minute items for his birthday was slothful to put it nicely. I had to give myself a personal pep talk. I had to remind myself of the gift I received in a child who is full of light and love.

     Have you ever looked at your child and felt almost unworthy to be the one entrusted to care for them? The life lessons I have encountered in raising an "old soul", who sometimes I think, knows more than me are imeasureable. All I know is that I am thankful that he was placed in my life. This son whose name literally means "Gift from God" has turned out to be just that.

    On this day we celebrate him. I make it my goal to go the extra mile so that he knows he is loved. I do that not with food, nor with presents... not with jokes or games. I do it with a heart wide open, and spirit led corresponding actions that I trust meet him at his point of need. A lesson so simple and so complex. A lesson I have ironically learned from him...

No comments:

Post a Comment