Thursday, November 8, 2012

Oooh 'Bama

He's done it again. Four more years. As a person who has typically trended conservative in my political views I must say I was nervous, but not for obvious reasons. You see the foundations of my political ideology have been small government, limited intrusion, and fiscal responsibility. So many elections after my first vote was cast, either party truly espouses those principles. Add to that the great swing state in which I am from worked very very very very hard to keep what amounts to minority/poor/liberal suppression.

Would a reasonable person support an administration that is actively doing everything in their power to suppress their vote? I think not! Not to mention what was originally considered conservative has changed deeply over the last 10-15 years. I refuse to affiliate myself with the neo-con movement. It does not at all reflect who I am or what I stand for. IN NO WAY do I mean to suggest that the entire right wing is racist. But I will say as a whole they have been very myopic in their views and whom their policies effect. It is time to reevaluate that stance.

I was nothing short of relieved when the announcement was made that President would maintain his office. You see, although I do not personally agree with everything the liberal agenda represents. I feel much more included and accepted by them. I think election 2012 taught me an important lesson. DIVERSITY MATTERS!


We saw some historic firsts that took place during this election. The tide has changed. The right wing has been served notice. They will have to find means to be more inclusive of others, and find common ground and common values with other American's in order to remain relevant. 


Today I was able to wake up and confirm to my children Barack Obama's election was not a fluke. I was able to say, "Ok it's official, you REALLY can be whatever and whomever you want to be." There has been a fundamental psychological and philosophical shift in the way that minorities as an all inclusive group think of themselves. We as women, ethnic minorities, etc... have decided that we are not going to wait to be given an assigned place in American society. We are going to carve out our own place so move over and get out of the way! I hope and pray that the value of our self worth continues to grow.






No comments:

Post a Comment