Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Just Wait 'Til Tomorrow


I absolutely love this quote. In fact I love this truth in general. It's attributed to a famous poet here. But I think the first time it was relayed to me was in the story of Little Orphan Annie, when she sang the song Tomorrow. It's a principle for living I'm thankful I came across at a young age. I can't tell you how many times my dramatic ass has stared out the window and sang those lyrics :)

I heard in a sermon one day, that the best advice you can give a suicidal person is: "Wait three days." Apparently, amongst suicide intervention techniques, if a person is willing to follow this advice, time and perspective drastically reduce the rate of death. Time has become a better friend to me than I ever thought possible. With the passage of time my perspective and understanding become so much clearer. In the age of instant gratification, learning the "art of waiting" is difficult. But for me it has drastically reduced my self destructive tendencies. I may always be my worst critic. But I don't want to live a life of self loathing and destruction. The longer I live, the more I internalize that I have worthwhile contributions to make to the people I love, and people who cross my path.

So I do my best to live in the present, whilst striking the balance of planning for the future. I remind myself that the past is over, and all I am obligated to drag forward with me are the lessons learned, and valuable experience I've gained. 

No comments:

Post a Comment