Thursday, August 9, 2012

In Our Hearts To Stay

This is probably the most personal thing I have ever blogged. It feels right, so I am just going to go with it. I just eulogized my brother in law. And while I could go into the range of emotions I felt prior to standing up to address a foreign congregation, I would rather shift my focus... to him.

Rannie was one of my favorite people on the entire island of Jamaica. I knew him to be a very kind hearted gentle person. He was great uncle to my children. His soul was just very attractive and welcoming. Over the past 13 years I was always happy to see him come, and sad to see him go. But the thing that always stood out to me was that he was imperfect.

 I heard stories of various mistakes that he had made in the past. Most of them were pretty typical nothing horrendous. They were just the types of things that happen that you are judged for, and people never forget. To me Rannie typified a very important life lesson. You can struggle with issues, make snafus, and still be a wonderful person. It reinforced the fact that you must rise above other people's opinions of you. Regardless of our struggles and blunders, we all can bring a positive impact to others around us, if we choose to. Thank you "Bredda Rannie" and Rest In Peace...



No comments:

Post a Comment