Sunday, March 10, 2013

Extreme Living... How's that working out for you?

I'm wondering how the wonderful world of extremism is going for those who live that way. Is it just me or have you noticed how unhappy and contentious people who operate by those principles seem to be? All or nothing is a stance that seems to be fairly unproductive in most cases. There are exceptions to every rule. Aside from that, what works for one person, may not be right for someone else.

There is a serious decline in critical thinking in society these days. Let me implore you to live a thoughtful purposeful life. Anything less than that is little more than exsisting. I know it can be comforting to fall back on prescribed schools of thought that have already been established. But, group think is a scary thing. You can be a part of a group and still have your own opinions. If you can't, you're part of the wrong group!

I sit back day after day and see people who are part of a community proclaim, "It's my way or the highway!" Most of them are contentious and angry. I see a trend in trying to rebuff and vilify anyone with an opposing philosophy. Why? In order for you to be right does someone else have to be wrong all of the time. Since when is someone's wrongness an automatic gateway into villain-hood? This train of thought is woefully lacking in too many ways to characterize.

No one gets their way all the time. If you are expecting to have your way all the time, expect to continue living that frustrated, upset, irrational course that you are on. I have personally watched people isolate family members and friends who choose different life choices. It's been a sad observation. In the end no one really wins. Such behavior is usually rooted in control an manipulation. If the point of contention is not life threatening, why are you so insistent that a person act and live according to your prescribed way of life.

I went to hear Dr. Ben Carson speak a few months ago. His words gave life to my emotions on this subject. He said if I might paraphrase; "Quit thinking that everyone needs to act exactly how you act. Everyone does not need to live just like you live. Everyone is not going to have the same exact thoughts and opinions as you. If to people act, walk, talk, dress, and feel the same way, only one of them is needed." Your's truly initiated thunderous applause in an auditorium full of people.

Differences in people make the world go 'round. Vive la différence! Dwell you must in the land of extremisim. A place where you MUST have your way. A place where what YOU want takes precedence over every other person's choice and opinion. Here I abide in the land of moderation. A place where I respect your right to your own opinion, even if I have no respect for the opinion you hold. I will sit back and enjoy the show....






No comments:

Post a Comment