Saturday, September 26, 2015

Be The Change

I sat in an unrelenting obstacle course of rerouted construction yesterday. I was trying to get in line and make my ascension to the traffic light, yet no one would let me in line. I ended up going around and taking a different route. But the funny thing was, I wasn't angry, or even frustrated. I realized that I had no real expectation of anyone going out of their way for me.  

That's a sad fact, but it's very true. In my opinion I haven't been shown enough empathy. In general, I haven't been shown, an abundance of kindness or even love. And I realized that I'm not upset about it. I'm not even sad about it. Because, it seems to be the condition of the human race right now. I know my statements sound pessimistic, but that's now how I feel. I am simply pointing out things as I see and understand them.  It's difficult to be disenfranchised when you already have a low expectation. I applaud my friends and loved ones for delivering to me a caliber of love that is top echelon. I believe that is why I feel no lack. Though my circle be small, it is QUALITY.

I'm always so surprised to hear some of whom I believe by the nicest people show a complete lack of empathy for others of whom they cannot relate. Good-natured Christian people will hold an all night prayer service and ask God to intervene when a tropical storm or hurricane is headed to Florida. But somehow they fail to realize that it's ripped Haiti or the Dominican Republic apart in the midst of their praying for their fellow Americans. I'm trying very hard to be a citizen of the world. I don't want to be so small minded that the only people that I care for or relate to are the people in a very small circle that is proximate all to me. I'm not perfect and I certainly don't always move in love. But I'm trying to do better, be better, and give what it is that I know others need. 

I'm not novel. I'm not the only one with the these life experiences. The world is full of dysfunctional people. I don't think that people are inherently bad, we are just very damaged. And that is why I find it very hard to get angry about not getting an abundance of love, kindness, empathy, or specialized treatment. It's also made me resolve to try and be a person who gives all of the aforementioned things. Because I believe that we deserve them. Everyone deserves them. It can change the very course of one's life, and even the way they act towards others. We hear so often that the world is full of good people. I remember so many Bible lessons growing up in a fire and brimstone church that warned that our hearts are desperately wicked. I believe but the balance of truth concerning most individuals lies somewhere in between. There is good and bad and all of us. There is love and hatred and all of us. Quite naturally what we choose to embody from those characteristics are what often shines through. I will BE what it is that I want to see. Peace and love friends...xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment